Tuesday 25 August 2015

A new way to view the world through the classroom


Augmented reality (AR)
"A technology that superimposes a computer-generated image on a user's view of the real world, thus providing a composite view."

Augmented reality (AR) in Education (Technology Classes)
Have a listen to this Radio New Zealand piece by 'Mindlab' who are running courses for teachers to adapt to digital tools in the classroom.

The biggest and most exciting piece of software/app that has come out recently that will change practice in the classroom is 'AR'. 


With this in mind I was intrigued to find out more and to have a go at creating some classroom resources that would be functional and relevant. Thanks to Dorian Caudy the Computer guru at Sir Edmund Hillary collegiate , for putting me in touch with some of the following:

Personally I really liked the Aurasma software platform and design suite as it enabled me to create a resource for myself and use within a workshop environment.
 

Apple App:https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aurasma/id432526396?mt=8
Android App:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aurasma.aurasma&hl=en

My thinking was that I could have a poster on the wall that highlighted the key design elements, the resource that I created through Aurasma was a video that I created that was activated by having the app open on a smart phone and pointing at the poster. The video unpacked the VOCAB terms and what the words meant in the context of design. My thoughts were that this tool could be used as homework, revision notes or even prompts as part of a vocab building strategy.
Tap http://auras.ma/s/7tU7p to view my Aura once you have the App downloaded.

I have listed below some of those that I came across that are awesome but not  necessarily linked to Technology as a subject area directly:

Science based: 
Elements 4D by Daqri
 
Print off squares that need to be put together, each side represents an element on the periodic table. Play around rolling the blocks and scanning the top with the app on your smart phone to see if the combinations make a chemical equation. The block disappears and you can see a 3D view of the element.

Daqri studio have taken it one step further by the development of Anatomy 4D
 

You are able to print off worksheets of the human body and use the App to hover over the image brining the 3D body to shape. The cool thing about this app is that you can strip back the layers to see how the different systems in the body work.....

 

My son has been playing with this App for days and doesn't seem to get tired of it. It projects dinosaurs into the view of the world around you. 

If you have any other Apps or tools that you use within the classroom please feel free to send me a link.





No comments:

Post a Comment